The mission of the EIT Digital Budapest Associate Partner Group is to give a boost to the development of an innovative ICT ecosystem in Hungary and in Central and Eastern Europe, being the only EIT Digital centre located in this region.
The EIT Digital Budapest Associate Partner Group is a consortium of two local universities – namely, Eötvös Loránd University (ELTE) and Budapest University of Technology and Economics (BME) – and their leading industrial partners (consortial partners: Ericsson Hungary, Magyar Telekom; cooperating partners: Cisco Systems Hungary, Nokia Solutions and Networks, and General Electric Healthcare). The group is supported by the cooperation of MTA-SZTAKI (Institute for Computer Science and Control of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences) and ELTE-Soft Nonprofit Ltd.
A unique feature of the EIT Digital Budapest Associate Partner Group is that it builds on the innovative potential of the dynamically developing Hungarian SMEs and startups. To help them maximize their potential, it has created a platform of Hungarian SMEs and reinforced its innovation management and business accelerator activities.
The Budapest Associate Partner Group actively integrates R&D, higher education, and industry into a network:
- ELTE and BME, as the two strongest Hungarian universities in ICT higher education, give a significant cohort of students to the EIT Digital Master School; three technical majors have been available in Budapest since 2012.
- The Budapest Doctoral Training Centre has also been active since 2012, providing a unique opportunity for excellent PhD students in communication software and system performance; a doctoral education that provides full integration of both technical and business aspects of ICT.
- Our contest organized together with MMCluster for Central and Eastern European startups called BrassTacks raised 33 applications from five countries and ten startups participated in the three-day training program in December 2013; a second edition is planned in 2014.
- A robust R&D carrier program with nearly 20 ICT research projects was running between January 2013 and June 2014 with a total budget of EUR 3 million. The EIT Digital Budapest Associate Partner Group with Eötvös Loránd University (ELTE), Budapest University of Technology and Economics (BME) and Cisco Systems Ltd. has been granted the funding by the Hungarian Government to support these projects as well as the local Co-Location Centre. This program (EITKIC_12-1-2012-0001) was financed through the Research and Technology Innovation Fund. The projects all corresponded to the thematic innovation action lines of EIT Digital.
- The EIT Digital Budapest Associate Partner Group is the leader of the Outreach Programme. In the framework of the programme, EIT Digital develops partnerships with those member states of the European Union that are not directly connected to the EIT Digital network, as well as reaches out to Central and Eastern European (“X-European”) countries. Its purpose is to activate startups, to provide opportunities for students, and to empower the academic and research sector in the focus countries. Within the scouting and mobility activity, the programme aims at establishing connections with universities, research institutions, and companies in these countries, and helps local researchers, professors and students to become partners of international EIT Digital projects.
Last modified: November 3, 2016